Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Video of the Day " Reducing a Fraction"


Reducing Fractions
Hello welcome to MooMooMath. Today we are going to talk about how to reduce fractions and I'm going to show you two methods. There is a second video that goes over a different method of reducing fractions. So pick the one you like best. So let's start with twenty four over thirty six. I know that both of those numbers are divisible by two. Let's reduce to this ( twelve over eighteen) I can reduce again, I notice there is another common factor so I reduce again and reduce it all the way down to two thirds. So that is method one where you are looking for common factors. So what method did I use? The first step is to find any common factor, and just start factoring or reducing by dividing the numerator and the denominator by that factor, and then you try it again. You continue this until you don't have any more common factors. So let's try a second problem using the same method. I'm going to start with 108 and 144. I notice that both of those numbers are even so I'm going to start with two and divide the numerator and the denominator by two. So that gives 54 over 72. I notice I have even numbers again so I can divide by two again. When I divide by two I get 27 over 36. I notice I have common factors of three so I divide the top and bottom numbers by three and I get 9 over 12. I can then further reduce by three and end up with three fourths. So I just find a common factor and continue to reduce it down until I get the smallest form. Hope this method was helpful.



For more information on fractions see: MooMooMath/Fractions

No comments:

Post a Comment